Wednesday, May 14, 2008

What I've been up to...




Since I've been in Utah, I've been helping a former professor of mine with some research. We're doing a survey on a small shorebird called the Snowy Plover. We're basically trying to figure out how many live and breed in the area around the Great Salt Lake. So we walk these huge gridlines mapped out on the ground and count how many Snowy's we see while we walk. I've been working an insane amount of hours. For the past 2 weeks I've had consistent 12 hour days with barely a 2 days off. Haha. But I really don't mind it. It helps pass the time until Kevin comes home.

It seriously is so much fun. Because the areas we survey are randomly chosen by GPS coordinates, we end up in some of the most crazy, wild places around Utah. It's really quite an adventure. Every day we just tromp around in the mud, exploring, walking about 8 miles per day and looking for birds. Yesterday, for example, we got our ATV stuck in some pretty bad mud. SUPER sticky mud. Well during the process of getting the ATV out, I laughed harder then I've laughed in awhile. There were four of us, 2 students from Mexico who barely speak English, and then another student from Weber State. But laughter is universal, so the language barrier meant nothing in this moment. We were all laughing so hard we could barely stand up.

My research also lead me to another adventure. An airplane flight all around the Great Salt Lake. We were in the air for about 3 hours just flying along the shoreline so I could mark off any of our plots that were underwater. I was really nervous to fly in a small aircraft, and almost chickened out. But I'm glad I decided to go. It was a neat opportunity. Though I must say I wouldn't do it again! :) I get nervous when I fly.




Here's a picture of the pilot and I.





This is me while in the air. The headphones keep out some of the noise and allow us to talk with each other through a mic.







A couple shots from the plane. The white dots on the island are nesting Pelicans! The island was packed with them!


Anyway, just a little update on what I've been up to.

7 comments:

Krystal said...

Wow dude... that's freakin' awesome! I'm jealous! How many people get to love their work so much? I can see how the plane ride would've been scary but fun at the same time. Working 12 hours can be rough but I'm glad that it's keeping you busy. Not much longer now!!! :)

Krystal said...

Here I am patiently waiting for a blog update on your current situation and maybe even some photos... just thought I'd let you know.

Krystal said...

You're too funny! I hope I didn't seem pushy... I was partly joking, although I am excited to hear how things are going. I can understand that you just moved in to a new place and your husband is finally back after being away for months and months. I suppose you have a valid excuse! :)

Krystal said...

Just a friendly reminder... approaching two months since last blog entry.

Krystal said...

Oh my hell... I think you'll be moved out of your apartment in San Diego before I get to see any pictures! *sigh*

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear from you lady! Time for a new post to let us know how things are! There is plenty of time to be a mom. Motherhood is absolutely marvelous, but follow your dreams first because after the kids, you just help them chase thiers... at least for a while! I really enjoyed seeing you when you were here, I have always thought you were an amazing person. Keep in touch ( this is why I started blogging)! Love ya, Mindi

Anonymous said...

Oh how I long to hear an update on your life. Hello...hello... is there anybody out there? I once knew of a beautiful bird watcher and her newly returned lover. How is life... maybe an insight on the birds and the bees?